Tuesday, January 16, 2007

 

My Gym Story

So, I've signed up at the gym again. After a month of laziness, I decided that I should pull out my dusty gym clothes, and give working out another chance.

My first day back was this past Saturday. It was great...treadmill, cross-trainer, weights, stretching, ab exercises...Fantastic. I arrived at the gym feeling exhausted, and finished my workout feeling energized.

As I headed into the back locker room to pick up my jacket and lock up my gym shoes, I noticed that the air was slightly foggy. There was also a faint "smoke" smell in the room. Being the nosy person that I am, I of course wanted to know what was going on.

Sidenote: The gym manager and his wife actually live in the back room of the gym. I figured this out one day when I saw their laundry drying through the door that connects to the locker room, and smelled their lunch cooking in their kitchen.

Back to the present: having been trained in the fine art of fire safety from a young age (ie. get below the smoke level, stop-drop-and roll, etc.), I wanted to see if I could lend a hand. I went to the manager's apartment door and yelled out "Anyeong Haseyo" (hello)...then I yelled it a couple more times for good measure. No answer. I pushed open the door a bit and smoke poured out into the locker room. I did not panic...I kept my cool. Well, not really...the first thing I did was run away in search of someone else. Here was the problem: I couldn't find the manager anywhere, I couldn't find the manager's wife anywhere, and I had no idea how to say "Fire" in Korean to the one other man who chose to work out on a Saturday.

Running away was obviously not the best course of action, so I returned to the scene of the smoke. I pushed the door open a little more, and looked in. The smoke was pretty thick, starting at the ceiling, and coming down about 3 feet into the room. I looked over at the stove and saw that the gas was indeed on, and the pot on the burner was spouting out tons of smoke...the source. I ran over, turned off the gas, opened the nearest window, and searched the apartment for dead bodies. Fortunately, I found none.

With that, my work was done. Seeing as there was noone to discuss the fire with at the gym, I headed home. When I got home, I told Sam about my adventure. He congratulated my quick thinking, but then mentioned one little thing: in Korea, when companies are going bankrupt, they will often "accidentally" burn down the buildings in order to collect the insurance and bow-out gracefully.

I guess I'll never know if I'm a hero to the gym, or a hero to the insurance company. Either way...I'll just focus on the "hero" part :0)

I'm contemplating taking my new "gym fire safety" message on the road. Even coined this little slogan...thought of it all by myself!


Comments:
I am SO proud of you.. but maybe you should take Sam to the gym with you next time incase there are cameras and they saw the only "white" girl at the gym put out their "fire"!!!! Just incase it was to collect insurance money!
aNNIE
 
That is too funny. Thanks for the laugh.
 
LOL... this is an awesome story becky! i wish exciting things like that happened around here. we miss you guys! em (and trent)
 
Hey Bec,
Man oh man! Talk about an adventure! I can just picture you running throughout the apartment, wiping sweat and soot from your brow to stop the fire and search for bodies. I am so proud of you. What strength, what stamina!!
Good thing you had just worked out! You had that extra boost of strength and empowerment.
Love you Bec. Auntie Sheila xoxoxox
Got any more pics to send me? tee hee
 
haha. you're so funnY! i'll totally be your manager and help you get on the road with this. i think it'll fly!!
you're totally a hero!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?